Monday, December 20, 2010

Key concept from the book: Digital Lifestyles

Digital Lifestyles was a part of the book that I really reflected upon. I never really thought about how much technology has changed since I was young. I was born in 1978 and the book talked about changes that have happened with technology since 1975. It was amzing to see the list of devices that I use daily that have not been around any longer than I have been! Interesting to really think about. It also makes me think about how much things will change during the lifetime of my second grade students. Ten years ago my cell phone made phone calls. I liked it. I could call people from my car! Fast forward two years and I probably sent my first text message. I had to hit the number three or four times to choose the letter I wanted to use, but again I liked it! Now my phone sends and receives emails, makes calls, texts from a keyboard that is a touch screen, surfs the net, takes videos, takes pictures, runs facebook, and the list never stops. It really makes me wonder how our students will be motivated and learn five years from now. I never thought I'd own a device that would have all of the capabilities that my cell phone does.

Yet, the book brought up another very intersting point. The fact that parents almost require that we teach the same way that they were taught. They are successful, therefore, they want their students to learn the same way they did. We as educators are fighting a never ending battle. Students who are on a completely different wavelength with different abilities and motivations, and parents, community members, and collegues that want to have things the same way they have always been. The book provides interesting alternatives to how we can remedy this and all I can say is that in some ways I wish education would change as much as my cell phone does from year to year. Perhaps all in good time we will see things shift in education. The 21st Century Balance provided the most intersting analysis of how things need to be balanced in order for high quality learning to occur.

2 comments:

  1. Technology has certainly changed and made a great impact on our lives in a relatively short amount of time. As the technology we have today helps design the technology of the future, I agree that we cannot even imagine what will be available to our students in just a couple more years.
    As a parent, I want my children to be successful. As a parent, I can see it being harder for us to accept new ideas and new technology as classroom tools because we feel we can no longer assist our children. It was difficult for me to realize I could no longer help them with their math homework after 9th grade because the content they were teaching had surpassed my knowledge. Now, we incorporate skills and technology into all areas of education. As a teacher, I appreciate the balance you referred to. As a parent, it is harder to see because we don’t see it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. Technology is a part of our lives and we need to embrace it in the classroom, as well. The microwave is the first major change I remember. I was born in 1966. As technology becomes more readily available and the price decreases, it becomes more accessible to everyone. It would be sensless not to adapt and use it as a tool.

    ReplyDelete