Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Final Relection

Reflective Post for 21st Century Skills by Bernie Trilling and Charles Fadel

This was an excellent book selection for me. I am still processing the new tools and the accessibility for there use in the classroom. There are so many stakeholders in the learning process and the expected final product. Students, teachers, and parents need to work together in providing the workforce and society a productive citizen.
What is the classroom of the future going to be like? It is hard for me to comprehend how fast the digital age is moving forward. It was not too many years ago the television was making its way into classrooms. How many students even know what microfiche is or heard of the PET Commodore computer? Where is the digital age going to?
I was hoping by reading the book I would come away with a better understanding on what all the accolades for the use of these tools in the classroom are? I came away with a better knowledge of the different tools, how to use them, the impact on the classroom, and the fact students are leading the charge for change. The students are the most wired and digital savvy members of our society. The authors presented ideas to help reshape the educational landscape and ways to help build the foundation for future classrooms.
The P21 (The Partnership for 21st Century Skills) is leading the way to build into the future and is a collaborate effort of many organizations with same goals. Their guidance will help transform the new classroom and make it available for all students. I still see a gap in students and schools which are able to afford the new technology and the students and school not able to tap into the digital age. The gap is becoming smaller, but hopefully P21 will help bridge the gap quicker.
It was an easy read and I will pick it up now and then to reread parts of it as continue to learn more about the 21st Century skills. I was and probably still a skeptic on some of the uses of these tools in the classroom, but I am willing to change if their use will be a benefit for our students. I am slowly becoming to grips with the “digital age”.

1 comment:

  1. Your statement, "the fact students are leading the charge for change" really summarizes this book for me. Having been a teacher for over 25 years and raising a family of my own, I have seen how savvy kids are with digital technology, yet it didn’t really sink in for me how much more we can expect from them until I read this book and its examples.

    ReplyDelete